Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Preach My Gospel

For those familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, you'll probably recognize this next image...
I volunteered to make this cake for the Missionary Zone Luncheon on 2/5/09 where all of the missionaries from the tri-state area get together for lunch. The image is from the cover of the missionary handbook Preach My Gospel and depicts the Savior just before his baptism with John the Baptist.

Up until the night I decorated the cake I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I had an impression that it should be "Preach My Gospel" related, but I didn't know exactly what. I ended up painting the image onto rolled fondant with brown food coloring and a paint brush. The cake itself was a butter yellow recipe and it was iced with plain white butter cream. I placed the fondant in the center and covered the edges with a line of green icing with a star tip, then piped a shell border with the same tip and icing.

I had to drop the cake off at a friend's house for transport to the luncheon. Believe me, I was disappointed that I couldn't be there (I have a day job), but Carolyn tells me that the missionaries loved their cake... they wouldn't let anyone cut it until they took pictures.

No comments: