This is our hostess, Sister Gilbert, who graciously allowed the event at her house. We had to set up 2 extra tables for all who attended.
For those who didn't get to make it, here is the recipe:
(Chocolate Caramel Cake)
For this cake you will need:
1 chocolate cake mix (or home-made recipe)
1 batch of chocolate icing (or 1 tub of store-bought icing)
1 icing bag
1 #21 star tip
A spatula or other utensil to spread icing
Caramel cubes (or caramel topping)
Hot fudge topping
1. Bake two 8-inch chocolate cakes using a boxed mix or home-made recipe of your choice according to the box/recipe directions.
2. Cool cakes completely.
3. Level and tort to ½” to ¾” in height (total 4 layers)
4. Melt approximately 20 caramel cubes and ¼ cup milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
5. Place a layer of cake on a cardboard circle or plate.
6. Arrange cakes in a row with one “top” layer at one end and the plate on the other.
7. Working from the “top” layer, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of melted caramel onto each of the top three layers leaving the plate cake layer bare.
8. Spread caramel to within ¼” of cake edge with out going over. **note: the caramel will soak into the cake slightly.
9. Warm hot fudge until thin consistency.
10. Starting with the plate cake layer, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of hot fudge on to the bare cake layer and spread to within ¼” of the cake edge without going over. **note: the hot fudge will soak into the cake slightly.
11. Flip the next cake layer, caramel side down, onto the fudge layer and straighten the edges before the caramel sets.
12. On the bare cake layer, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of hot fudge onto the cake and spread within ¼” of the cake edge without going over.
13. Flip the next cake layer caramel side down, onto the fudge layer and straighten the edges before the caramel sets.
14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 on the remaining layers.
15. Ice the assembled cake using the chocolate icing of your choice and pipe a tip#21 shell boarder around the bottom of the cake.
16. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of caramel onto the top of the cake allowing the caramel to go over the edge in places.
17. Drizzle hot fudge over the top of the cake and pull with a tooth pick to create a “web” look, if desired.